It is the name given to the process that an addict goes through to recover from drug dependence or abuse. The drug rehabilitation program can be routed in psychological assistance, medical intervention or a combination of both. In most cases, a drug addict will check into a drug rehab facility to acquire the help and support of professionals. When checking into a drug rehab centre, it will be established whether the person needs to go through a street drug rehab or prescription drug rehab program.
The key to any drug rehabilitation services resulting in sustained recovery, is to remove the addict from their current group of friends and environment. The information below focuses predominantly on local drug rehab centres in Cape Town, South Africa.
Drug rehab goals:
- End the addiction – The core outcome of any drug rehabilitation clinic is to end the addiction, so that the recovering addict can recreate a life that is sober with goals that lead to a happier existence.
- Treat any psychological or psychiatric complications – it is typical for a long-term drug addict to have underlying psychological trauma or psychiatric disorders that have not been treated. Drug rehabilitation services aim to help with these so that there is a better chance of sustained recovery.
- Improve personal circumstances and create a positive environment – When a person has been abusing drugs for a long time, often their lives are in disarray with various aspects that are affected ie. Social problems, financial problems, their living conditions and the majority of important relationships in their lives has been damaged. Drug rehabilitation programs tend to focus on these areas as a key part of making improvements.
The process of drug rehabilitation centres:
- Intake and assessment – Typically, when you enter a rehab centre, you’ll be asked a few questions, potentially fill in a questionnaire and participate in a drug test. Based on the intake interview, the appropriate drug rehab help program will be designed around your needs.
- Medical detox – To start treating the psychological challenges associated with drug abuse, the physical addiction needs to be addressed first. Symptoms of withdrawal can be dangerous,so it is best to go through this process under medical supervision. Depending on the severity, drug rehab staff may choose to administer medication to help.
- Rehab program counselling – This is probably the most important part of a drug rehab centre, where the core reasons for needing the drug are explored in depth. Individual sessions, as well as group and family sessions, are often all part of the treatment program to offer a wholistic approach.
- Drug Centre Education – Offered to the recovering addict, this is a practical way of explaining the impact that the use of drugs can have on the body and mind.
- Post-care services – Even though a person has come off the drugs, it doesn’t mean that they know how to cope with the practicalities of life after a drug rehab program. Often drug rehab centres will offer classes in practical skills, financial planning, vocational training and the ongoing support of a group that meets at least once a week is also key in establishing a clean life.
If you’re searching for “drug rehab for women” or “drug rehab for teenagers”, there are some drug rehab facilities that focus solely on those groups, especially drug rehab centres in the Western Cape.
FBTCC is registered with the provincial Department of Social Development